Tuesday 27 February 2007

Let me introduce myself...

Hello there! I'm Laura, and I'm going to be posting film reviews here, and maybe thoughts on other pop-cultural things. We'll see how it develops as I go along. I'd be very interested in any feedback, so feel free to comment!
I can be very opinionated, and tend to either love things or hate things, so don't expect many moderate, sober proclomations. I will endeavour to not put any spoilers on here, and if I do, I'll give ample warning (I hate that when it happens elsewhere).
To get an idea of my tastes, my favourite films include Reservoir Dogs, Coming Home, Goodfellas, Clerks, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, The Godfather Parts I and II, Rain Man, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Scrooged, Gattaca, Full Metal Jacket and Mean Streets. I'd say that makes me eclectic in my tastes, apart from an obvious leaning towards Vietnam war films.
So, without further ado, let's get critical.
Save the Texas Prairie Chicken!
- Laura

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kicks arse. I will remain Anonymous, cause I think its cooler that way. Ill be reading all of your reviews here, so keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

more world cinema reviews, please. i'd like to know what impenetrable korean good stuff with subtitles i should be watching.

dragonfly said...

Checked out to see a review of "Golden Compass" in your 2007 listings but not there. Curious that. You still either love or hate do you? Hate Nicole Kidman so much that you cannot even tolerate a full length movie including her? Explains why "Australia" is also absent from your movie reviews - generaly such stirring and magnificent writing, dragonfly X

Laura Aylett said...

Thanks for the nice comment, Dragonfly!
You are right, I do tend to either love something/one or hate it/him/her.
I only review films I see at the cinema, and I tend to choose films I want to see. I do not wish Nicole any harm, but neither do I want to pay to watch her on a big screen unless the film looks amazing. I have the same attitude about Keira Knightley. I don't think I was the only one who didn't want to see Australia!
I saw Golden Compass on DVD and it was ok.

dragonfly said...

You are correct about overdoing a good thing/person. Onto commonalities: a Vietnamese interest, but I have only viewed 2 of the long list of your favourites depicting that alluring part of South East Asia. What would you recommend "Reservoir Dogs" or "Coming Home" or "Gattaca" or "Clerks"? Looking forward to your knowledgeable tips.

Laura Aylett said...

Hello hello,
Only Coming Home out of those films is about Vietnam, and I would thoroughly recommend it. My favourite Vietnam war film (though none of it is actually set in Vietnam) and also like the best love story ever!
The other films are all awesome of course too. Gattaca is written and directed by an antipodean (from New Zealand, though, not Australia) so maybe that would appeal to you. Beautiful sci-fi thriller.

dragonfly said...

Inadvertently you directed me to another "Coming Home": Rosamunde Pilchers where the cast includes Joanna Lumley and Susan Hampshire.
200 minutes of beautiful pre-war lifestyle, language and love. Again, thank you. x

Laura Aylett said...

I think I saw this when it was on TV and I remember liking it. Glad I've inadvertantly caused you to watch it!